Skip to content

Japan Earthquake Donations – Wondering who to donate to? Many think the best NGOs are Japanese groups with history, already on the ground.

March 18, 2011

We have been asked by many of our clients who they should donate to…a very reasonable question.  And, are there options other that U.S. based groups?  In fact there are…

Displaced residents after the Japanese earthquake and nuclear plant meltdown.

We have been involved with a group out of New York City for sometime called The Council on Foreign Relations.  They believe that effective dollars are best delivered directly. Japanese groups are in the best position to decide what Japan needs, and are less likely to skim organizational overhead off the top of your donations. Few Americans are familiar with the Japanese groups, however.

CIE/USA has created a Japan NGO Earthquake Relief and Recovery Fund to support emergency relief and long-term recovery efforts by Japanese organizations. Half of the funds raised will go directly to the Japan-based Center for Public Resources Development’s “Give One” initiative, which raises funds for leading Japanese organizations that are working on the ground to provide immediate disaster relief. The other half will be used to establish a separate fund to support Japanese organizations engaged in long-term reconstruction efforts, which will be critical in the months and years ahead.

If this doesn’t appeal to you, we suggest you visit Charity Navigator, which has established a page on their site for this catastrophic event and look for Four Star **** rated organizations.

2 Comments leave one →
  1. Ashley permalink
    March 19, 2011 07:12

    I am going to talk to local coroners and funeral homes about donating body bags. I see all the new bodies wrapped in blankets and I know the people there need them. With number of deaths still growing I know the need to properly store the bodies is a great need. If someone can contact me about how and where to send the packages once they are gathered it would be greatly appreciated.

    • March 19, 2011 10:07

      Great idea Ashley…I am not sure who the best person to contact might be…perhaps the Office of Emergency Services (sometimes called Homeland Security) in your county would be a great place to start. Or perhaps your local Red Cross would know how to get the bags to the sources who are sending supplies over. Good luck and thanks! Regina

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: